Monday, April 12, 2010

This has to be on my own personal "Top 10 Things That Annoy Me":

Here is the deal-eo. I have a "friend" who is always complaining about how the don't have any money. They have a ton of credit card debt, large car payments, a large house payment and no budget. The No Budget is probably on my top 20 list of things that annoy me, but I'll save that for another post. So this "friend" announced that she and her husband planned to buy a camper trailer. It started out as a $4,000 trailer to replace the one that they bought last year. Then it turned into a larger more expensive camper before finally buying a brand spankin' new camper trailer. Now I have no idea how much they paid for this, but I know it is a lot. About the price of a new car, I am sure. And along with telling me that they bought this new trailer, my "friend' told me that she refinanced her car to make her payments lower so they can afford this trailer. Oh! And in a few (like 3) years their truck will be paid off so that will free up a ton of money. Also, she was wanting to get rid of her car only a month ago to upgrade to a bigger mom car. She drives a full size SUV by the way and has no children. I want to take my "friend" and shake her! She is a few years older than me and I feel like I have learned this lesson and want to share my knowledge with her. So, instead of shaking her I will share my advice on here.

First and foremost, how can you know how much money you have (or don't have) if you do not have a budget. Or spending plan. Or just plain keep complete track of where your money is going. Mint.com is free and easy to use. Or I use a spreadsheet. There are free and easy ways to track your money. How do you know if you can afford things if you don't know where your money is leaking (or hemorrhaging) to?

Secondly, there are always going to be new things that you will want to buy. Once your truck is paid off, do you really think that your husband will not be itching to buy a new car? Or you will want to upgrade your current car? Probably so. Or maybe you will have different wants or need. Maybe you will want a new motorcycle. Or you have taken up rock climbing and want to build a fake rock wall in your back yard. I'm just saying, there is always something else to want on the horizon.

And lastly, why must you talk to every person you see and tell them about this trailer that you just bought and the fact that you and your husband will be trying to have children in the next three weeks. These people are not your friends. They see you because they have to. Not that they probably don't like you, but some things should be reserved for close friends only. Or people who see you because they like you, not because they have to. Not everyone wants to hear about you procreating. Or about the newest thing that you bought.

Moral of the story is: Please share your good news with people who truly care about you! Also, not everyone wants to keep up with the Joneses. The Joneses are so yesterday and you my friend are today. Make your self a little happier and a little less stressed by paying off your debt and saving for the things that are truly important to you and your family.

As I finish this post I find myself thinking: Maybe I should be praying about my attitude towards this "friend" of mine. Maybe I should be finding ways to love her and show the love of God to her and not my annoyance over the things she does. So I will sign off with a verse that I am going to pray will change my attitude:

Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. Ephesians 4:31-32
Love,
L

3 comments:

Amanda said...

L, First and foremost, I LOVE YOU! I love that you are trying to tame down your annoyance by turning to God. I love that you make a budget so efficiently. And I love that you have friends that annoy you too. I have friends I want to shake!!!

REALLY she feels the need to tell people that she is wanting to reproduce within 3 weeks?!?!?! NICE. I wonder if she knows that only 60% of people who start trying get pregnant within the first 6 months? Or that by talking about it with random people she is putting added stress to procreate on her body and thus making it harder to do so?!

I hope tomorrow is better and you can avoid such annoying "friends" =)

*** Big hugs gir.l***

Amanda said...

Holy typos!

Only 60% of people who start trying to get pregnant SUCCEED with in the first 6 months.

and *** Big hugs GIRL*** lol

L said...

I know! I keep telling her that it might not happen right away. Especially since she has been on BC for a long time. I am really trying to turn to God, but unfortunetly that has not been my first step. I'm working on it girl!!!! Thank you for the encouragement! Love you friend!
L