Monday, January 23, 2012

Frustrating People {rant}

One thing that really ticks me off about being around military people pretty much all the time is that you see the good, the bad, and the ugly. All of our close friends who are military are great {and sane}. Everyone has their "I hate my job" days, days where things are frustrating. Who doesn't. But one think that really ruffles my feathers is people who decide they are going to "screw" the military because their life isn't all roses. People who sign up for four years and then decide after less than a year that they want out. And they don't care if they've signed a contract, they say out right that they will make themselves as worthless as possible to try and get early out or make the Navy "sorry" they aren't letting them go sooner. And I am not gonna lie, I see this more often in girls than guys.

I know that there are people who are deceived about what they are getting in to. I know that being military is not always fun. I know that deployments suck. But I also know that military life is not that bad. Specifically here where we are. My husband works usually works less hours than I do per week. He gets more days off. More vacation time. He has more time during the day to good off and watch YouTube or Facebook {Not saying you actually do these things hunny!} It is easy for him to come to doctors appointments when needed or get the day off if he has to. He often gets off work early, and in this crazy winter storm we have been having he's had all week off where as I have had to go to work. And it drives me bonkers seeing post after post of FB of how much people hate the Navy. Seriously? If you acted like that at my work, you wouldn't have a job to be complaining about. My job is fairly easy, but there are rules to follow. It's real life. It's not handed to you on a silver platter. If I spent hours watching YouTube, I would no longer have a job. If I made myself worthless, you've guessed it... I wouldn't have a job.

And one more thing? Getting pregnant to get out of deployment? I thought that was a joke. No one in their right mind would actually have a baby for the main desire of getting out of deployment. I mean, people know that deployment is like 6-12 months {Navy} and babies are like 18+ years? Oh, no? That really happens? YES. In our small group of acquaintances here I know 4 people who have done this. 2 that are married and had other reasons for wanting a baby {getting out of deployment was just a bonus and definitely part of the timing} and 2 that didn't want to deploy. Awesome. Great plan. Oh and thank you for getting out of your deployment and bumping my husband up on the list to deploy. Thanks, I really appreciate that.

{P.S. obviously I know my husband will deploy. And no I am not looking forward to it. It's one of the down sides of military life. But, you have to take the good with the bad.}

All of that being said, I am so glad to know people who truly love what they are doing. Love that they have a job that provides for their families. Or maybe they don't love their job any more and are getting out, but they are honoring their commitments while they are still in the Navy. I am thankful that I only have to see the people that drive me crazy rarely. Personally, I am thankful for the Navy. It may not always be GREAT, but the good out weighs the bad. For sure.

No comments: