Thursday, July 15, 2010

Advice

Do everything without arguing or complaining - Philippians 2:14


This verse makes me feel guilty. Yep. Very guilty. Do I live my life with out arguing or complaining? Nope. Sure don't.


This verse was told to me about a week ago by a co-worker (who works at a different store). She mentioned that this was something she was working on, especially in her work life. And as soon as she said the words, I knew that this was something that I needed to work on as well. 


I am working on this most in my "work life." I work with some fairly negative people. And I am pretty sure that my positive attitude ticks them off. And it is SO EASY for my attitude to be brought right down with them. So I am doing my best to implement this verse in my daily work life. Helping those around me will hopefully help bring their attitudes up as well as keeping mine up. I hope!


Everyone complains. Everyone argues. It is human nature! But now that this verse is on my heart I am trying to do better. 


And on an almost opposite topic, I talked to my Mom today and she reminded me how important spending time with my husband. She told me to quit overextending and over-committing myself. While my husband will be home, I have not taken any days off. (Um, I will be the first to admit that I should probably take some time off)


 Also, on the possibly the only Saturday that my husband is here, I have to attend an all day bachelorette party (starting at 2:30pm). Not only all day, but all night too. There is not way that I can just not go. I am in the wedding. And it's not like she knew when J was coming back so it could be planned around, we had no idea when he was coming back. And I feel like I can't get out of this, but I want to spend all the time with my husband (it's been a looong 4 months!). Talk about hittin' it home, Mom. I try and try and try to please everyone, make everyone happy, and I just can't do it. And I know that. Duh, right? But it doesn't stop me from trying. 


So I am going to take some advice from the bible and some advice from my Moms and work at doing what is right for ME. 


And that's all she wrote!
L

4 comments:

Goodnight moon said...

I do the exact same thing. Sometimes I feel like I put everything that I am into a reletionship/friendship, but then I get to a point where I'm like..."am I getting anything back from this"?

My only advise for you, is to do what is right for YOU! Even though your in the wedding, and you feel committed into going to the party, even though your hubs just got home, you could either excuse yourself and make yourself known as to why (because you want to spend much needed catch up time with him) OR...attend the party for alittle bit, and then head home early so you can be with hubs.

If the people around you aren't in the military, they don't understand at all. It's a hard life, that's foresure! The most important thing is to spend time with hubs while he IS home.

Not sure if that helped at all. But you need to start putting yourself first!

Allie said...

Hey, thanks for the comment! :)

You're so right about this saying. I feel like I too should implement it in my daily life! Especially during deployment!

Well I'm so happy for you that your husband is coming home soon! I'm jealous! And as for making everyone else happy, girl sounds to me like you need to stop worrying about other people and do things that make YOU happy! :)

Brittney said...

I agree with Amber!! I would choose one of those options instead of just giving in to them and going all day and all night. You have been away from your husband for 4 months and you guys need to spend some quality time together. Do whats right for you and your husband, because when it comes down to it, your relationship with him is more important than a bachelorette party. Good luck girl, and I hope you have a great time with your hubby!! :)

L said...

Thanks ladies! That was what I needed to hear. I need to spend time with my husband, he is far more important right now. I think that I will end up going to the party, but leaving early. I only have a few days with J and spending time with him will be important. Thank you for your support!!!!!!