Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Keeping God at the center

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12


When J and I were going over what we wanted in the ceremony at our wedding, this verse was something that was so important to me. And it was important to me because I know that I can not do this alone. I cannot live in my marriage alone, I cannot live a life alone, I cannot be a mother alone. Thru everything I need not only the people around me (my husband, family, friends) but most importantly I need God with me. 


I know that without Him, I am weak. Without Him, I am fearful. Without Him I am nothing. 


But how often do I forget to keep him at the center of my life? How often am I fearful and forget to pray about everything? How often do I forget (or chose not to) open my bible? 


Am I only coming to God when I need something? What kind of relationship is this? Not a very good one. 


Keeping God at the center of my life and the center of my marriage has to be a daily decision. Praying daily, constantly, about everything and not just the things I am fearful of or hoping for. Being transparent and asking Him guide me and show me where my life should be going. Praying about the words that come out of my mouth, that they are building others up and not tearing them down. 


I know that there are days where I am going to fail. I am not perfect. I'm not even a very good Christian! But my heart needs to be in the right place. Every morning I need to rededicate my life to Him. How can I be a beacon of light to others when my light is not shining brightly? 


P.S. I had to google the verse....just goes to show you how far I have to go! 

No comments: